The Power of a Rich Reading Classroom: Poetry in the Primary School - 2 hour Online INSET
This two hour online INSET will explore the importance of choosing and using poetry in the classroom to increase children’s motivation as independent readers and writers and to build their confidence in performing to an audience.
Through a range of interactive activities, we will investigate how well-chosen poetry and thoughtfully planned activities can increase children’s comprehension of language and engage children in deeper response in reading, as well as how poems can be used to develop children’s own use of language; inspiring them to write creatively and independently, with an understanding of how to write with a reader in mind.
Participants will be introduced to a wide range of poetry with examples that can be used from Early Years to Year 6 with practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.
The content of the session is based on the research and best practice from CLPE’s Power of Poetry research programme and Poetry in the Primary Classroom research programme, in partnership with the Royal African Society.
Over the course of the two hour session, staff will:
- Gain an understanding of the place of poetry in a broad, rich English Curriculum.
- Look at examples of high quality poetry that can be used with children across the primary years.
- Develop knowledge of the specific reading skills and strategies that poetry supports.
- Explore examples of creative teaching approaches that support children’s engagement with and understanding of poetry.
- Develop understanding of how poetry can be used as a stimulus for children’s own writing.
Focus texts for this online training include:
- A Great Big Cuddle by Michael Rosen, illustrated by Chris Riddell
- Out and About by Shirley Hughes
- Cherry Moon by Zaro Weil
- Bright Bursts of Colour by Matt Goodfellow
- Rhythm and Poetry by Karl Nova
Individual schools wishing to partake in online 2 hour sessions will have the option to select a date and time for this session to take place for a fixed fee of £500. To book, please complete our Booking Enquiry Form.