Understanding the Writing Journey: Planning for Progression in Years 3-4 - Webinar
Enhance knowledge and understanding in how to teach writing to children in Year 3 and 4 by providing a range of experiences which will develop transcriptional skills and imagination and ideas to support composition in Lower Key Stage 2. All elements of the training are in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
This webinar is part of a series which take participants through the CLPE Writing Scale, focussing on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development and will explore the practice and provision that will support children’s progress towards these goals. Teachers and leaders might undertake one webinar on its own or attend all four webinars to embed consistency of practice from Nursery to Year 6.
What you will learn:
- Understand how writing develops and how to support progress and achievement in Lower Key Stage 2;
- The writing practices that meet the needs and interests of children in Years 3 & 4 to enable them to be curious, engaged and motivated to write;
- How to choose and use quality texts to exemplify authentic literary forms and writing voices, provide language models, enrich vocabulary and inspire opportunities for writing;
- The teaching approaches that best support an authentic writing process, including language and vocabulary acquisition, building of imaginative ideas, drafting, editing and publication;
- How to support developing writers to write with fluency across a range of forms with purpose and audience in mind;
- A range of strategies and approaches that enable children to use and apply spelling, punctuation and grammar knowledge in real writing contexts;
- How to develop motor skills and encourage legibility, fluency and stamina.
What will participants gain?
Participants will be introduced to a wide range of quality texts suitable for Lower Key Stage 2 and practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.
To support immediate implementation at school, all participants will receive a handout of the presentation slides, along with a free teaching sequence for How the Stars Came to be as well as a free Take 5 Home Learning Resource example.
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once you have secured your place, you will receive a confirmation email detailing how to join the session. Please ensure that you register well in advance of the event start. If you have any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
It was wonderful for us as teachers to have a chance to write creatively again, accessing our creative writing side that we don't always have the freedom to tap into during the busyness of the classroom.
Teacher on Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 3 and 4, 2021
Great presentation that was clear and included a great mix of theory and practical ideas
Teacher on Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 3 and 4, 2020