Understanding the Writing Journey: Planning for Progression in Years 1-2 - Webinar
Enhance knowledge and understanding in how to teach writing to children in Year 1 and 2 by providing a range of experiences which will develop transcriptional skills and imagination and ideas to support composition in Key Stage 1. All elements of the training is in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
This webinar is part of a series which take participants through the CLPE Writing Scale, focussing on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development and will explore the practice and provision that will support children’s progress towards these goals. Teachers and leaders might undertake one webinar on its own or attend all four webinars to embed consistency of practice from Nursery to Year 6.
What you will learn:
- The knowledge, skills, attitudes and understanding involved in becoming a Developing Writer;
- The writing practices and contexts that meet the needs and interests of young children and enable them to be curious, engaged and motivated to write;
- How to choose and use quality texts to exemplify authentic writing voices, provide language models, enrich vocabulary and inspire opportunities for writing;
- The teaching approaches that best support an authentic writing process, including language and vocabulary acquisition, building of imaginative ideas, composition, reflection and publication;
- A range of strategies and approaches that support children to use and apply grammar knowledge in the context of real writing experiences;
- How to support early writers to write across a range of forms with purpose and audience in mind;
- How to enable children to use and apply growing phonic and spelling knowledge to segment and spell words in real contexts;
- Strategies and approaches that develop gross and fine motor skills and encourage legibility, fluency and stamina;
What will participants gain?
Participants will be introduced to a wide range of quality texts suitable for Key Stage 1 and practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.
To support immediate implementation at school, all participants will receive a handout of the presentation slides, along with a free teaching sequence for Winter Sleep and a free Take 5 Home Learning Resource example.
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once you have secured your place, you will receive a confirmation email detailing how to join the session. Please ensure that you register well in advance of the event start. If you have any issues, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
A clear and well presented session full of ideas I can use and share in school.
Teacher on Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 1 and 2, 2020
Anjali was amazing! I loved her knowledge and passion for books. Great practical ideas.
Teacher on Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 1 and 2, 2021