Understanding the Reading Journey: Planning for Progression in Years 5-6 - Webinar
This series of webinars will take participants through the CLPE Reading Scale, focussing on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development and will explore the practice and provision that will support children’s progress towards these goals.
This session, focussed on progress and provision for Upper Key Stage 2, will focus on how to support pupils to develop independence, fluency and stamina to take on extended and more challenging texts with confidence and competence, as well as tackling the wide range of reading demands that will prepare pupils for the transition to secondary.
What you will learn:
- Knowledge of a range of quality texts that can support teachers in focussing on key reading skills and strategies appropriate to Upper Key Stage Two, to focus on key reading skills and strategies during reading aloud, shared reading, group reading, individual reading, independent reading and home/school reading, including how such texts can support the development of inferential skills, the ability to make intertextual links and critical and visual literacy.
- Understanding of a range of creative teaching approaches designed to enable pupils to express critical thinking, engage in debate, discussion and book talk around character, themes, intertextuality and use metalanguage confidently in order to evaluate an author's use of language, structure and punctuation, to evaluate why these choices may have been and what impact they have on the reader.
- Strategies to prepare pupils for the demands of the secondary curriculum, including how to provide pupils with opportunities to read challenging texts beyond those that they might not self-select, as well as how shared and group reading sessions can demonstrate how to tackle the demands of a range of increasingly challenging reading material.
What will participants gain?
- Guidance on the knowledge, skills, attitudes and understanding involved in becoming an Independent Reader.
- An understanding of quality texts and teaching approaches to best support progression in reading.
- Examples of approaches to develop reading fluency and a greater depth of comprehension and the knowledge, skills and understanding children will gain from these approaches.
- Knowledge of how to develop children's understanding of the impact of language and grammar choices on the reader through contextualised teaching.
All participants will also receive a free teaching plan for Running on Empty as well as a free Take 5 Home Learning Resource example.
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once you have secured your place, you will receive a confirmation email detailing how to join the session. Please ensure that you register well in advance of the event start. If you have any issues, please email email@example.com