Understanding the Reading Journey: Planning for Progression in Years 1-2 - Webinar
This series of webinars will take participants through the CLPE Reading Scale, focussing on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development and will explore the practice and provision that will support children’s progress towards these goals.
This session, focussed on progress and provision for children in Years 1 and 2 will focus on the children’s developing confidence as readers, looking at the range of reading experiences that can be offered to children at this age and how these can be used to support children’s independence in word reading and comprehension.
All elements of the training are in line with the requirements of the new Reading Framework and the National Curriculum.
What you will learn:
- Knowledge of a range of quality texts that can support teachers to focus on key reading skills and strategies during reading aloud, shared reading, group reading, individual reading, independent reading and home/school reading, including how such texts can support the contextualised teaching of phonics and language development.
- Understanding of a range of creative teaching approaches designed to develop fluency, reader response and comprehension, extending children’s knowledge about and understanding of what has been read.
- Confidence in how to select texts to broaden the reading experiences of children in Years 1 and 2, growing their range and breadth of reading and supporting their growing independence as readers and preparing them for the transition to Key Stage 2.
What will participants gain?
- Guidance on the knowledge, skills, attitudes and understanding involved in becoming a Developing Reader.
- An understanding of quality texts and teaching approaches to best support these experiences
- Knowledge of how to support the contextualised teaching of phonics and word recognition.
- pproaches to develop fluency and comprehension.
- The knowledge, skills and understanding children will gain from these approaches.
All participants will also receive a free teaching plan for The Last Wolf as well as a free Take 5 Home Learning Resource example.
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once you have secured your place, you will receive a confirmation email detailing how to join the session. Please ensure that you register well in advance of the event start. If you have any issues, please email email@example.com
As an NQT who has had their training curtailed due to the pandemic, I found it really interesting and helpful, because it showed a clear progression in reading and how it links with writing too. I loved the ideas!
Teacher on Understanding the Reading Journey in Year 1 and 2, 2020
Thought it really clear, perfectly paced and accessible.
Teacher on Understanding the Reading Journey in Year 1 and 2, 2021