Teaching Writing in Years 1-2 - Webinar
Enhance knowledge and understanding of how to teach writing to children in Year 1 and 2 by providing a range of experiences that promote transcriptional skills and develop imagination and ideas to support composition.
This webinar is part of a series which uses the CLPE Writing Scale to focus participants on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development, then explores the practice and provision that support children’s progress towards these goals.
What you will learn:
- the skills, knowledge and attitudes that underpin progress and achievement in writing in Key Stage 1, and how it develops;
- the writing practices and contexts that meet the needs and interests of young children, enabling them to be curious, engaged and motivated to write;
- how to choose and use quality texts to exemplify authentic writing voices, provide language models, enrich vocabulary and inspire opportunities for writing;
- teaching approaches that best support an authentic writing process, including language and vocabulary acquisition, building of imaginative ideas, composition, reflection and publication;
- a range of strategies and approaches that support children to use and apply grammar knowledge in the context of real writing experiences;
- how to support early writers to write across a range of forms with purpose and audience in mind;
- how to enable children to use and apply growing phonic and spelling knowledge to segment and spell words in real contexts;
- a range of strategies and approaches that develop gross and fine motor skills and encourage legibility, fluency and stamina.
What will participants gain?
- Participants are introduced to a wide range of quality texts suitable for Key Stage 1 alongside practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.
- Participants receive a handout of the presentation slides, along with a teaching sequence for The Pet Potato by Josh Lacey and Momoko Abe, and a Take 5 Home Learning Resource example, supporting immediate implementation at school.
- Participants receive a pre-registration email three days before the training date with details on how to join the Zoom session.
Webinar price is per person.
This is the second in a series of four webinars: teachers and leaders might attend one or all four to embed consistency of practice from Nursery to Year 6.
All elements of the training are in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
A clear and well presented session full of ideas I can use and share in school.
Teacher on Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 1 and 2, 2020
Anjali was amazing! I loved her knowledge and passion for books. Great practical ideas.
Teacher on Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 1 and 2, 2021
Thank you ever so much for fantastic opportunity to believe children can enjoy writing and not seeing it as a task oriented chore. Also great tips about editing.
Teacher On Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 1 and 2 , 2023
It was informative and interesting I will definitely consider future courses with you.
Teacher on Understanding the Writing Journey in Years 1 and 2, 2023