Teaching Reading in Years 5 and 6 - Webinar
Enhance knowledge and understanding of how to teach reading in Year 5 and 6 by providing a range of experiences that promote the development of children’s independence, fluency and stamina to take on extended, more challenging texts in preparation for their transition to secondary school.
This webinar is part of a series which uses the CLPE Reading Scale to focus participants on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development, then explores the practice and provision that support children’s progress towards these goals.
What participants will learn:
- the skills, knowledge and attitudes that underpin progress and achievement in reading in Upper Key Stage 2, and how it develops;
- the reading skills, strategies and experiences that meet the needs and interests of children in Years 5 and 6, enabling them to be curious, engaged and motivated readers;
- how to choose and use quality texts to support the development of inferential skills, the ability to make intertextual links and critical and visual literacy;
- a range of strategies and teaching approaches that best support the development of children to become independent readers who express critical thinking, use metalanguage to engage in debate and discussion about authorial intent and use book talk around character and themes confidently and independently;
- Strategies to prepare pupils for the demands of the secondary curriculum, including how to provide pupils with opportunities to read challenging texts beyond those that they might not self-select.
What participants will receive:
- Participants will receive guidance on the knowledge, skills, attitudes and understanding involved in becoming an Independent Reader.
- Participants are introduced to a wide range of quality texts suitable for Upper Key Stage 2 alongside practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.
- Participants receive a handout of the presentation slides, along with a free teaching sequence for Running on Empty and a free Take 5 Home Learning Resource example, supporting immediate implementation at school.
- Participants receive a pre-registration email three days before the training date with details on how to join the Zoom session. If you have any issues, please email [email protected].
Webinar price is per person.
This is the fourth in a series of four webinars: teachers and leaders might attend one or all four to embed consistency of practice from Nursery to Year 6.
All elements of the training are in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
Practical ideas that can be successfully implemented in the classroom. Quality texts that children would be interested in.
The range of books covered was fantastic. I find it hard to find modern books children can relate to and a variety of resources were provided.
Teachers on Teaching Reading in Years 5 and 6, 2023