Teaching Reading in Years 1-2 - Webinar
- Develop teachers’ subject knowledge in how reading progresses in KS1;
- Explore key skills and strategies relevant to specific phases and stages of reading development;
- Provide text recommendations and planning to show how to choose and use texts to support children’s reading development in different contexts and reading experiences;
- Look at how to choose and use texts to support specific skills and strategies, enabling children to develop as competent, confident, and independent readers.
Enhance knowledge and understanding of how to teach reading to children in Year 1 and 2 by providing a range of experiences that promotes children’s developing confidence as readers by supporting their growing independence in word recognition and comprehension.
This webinar is part of a series which uses the CLPE Reading Scale to focus participants on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development, then explores the practice and provision that support children’s progress towards these goals.
What participants will learn:
- the skills, knowledge and attitudes that underpin progress and achievement in reading in Key Stage 1, and how it develops;
- the increasing range of reading skills, strategies and experiences within contexts that meet the needs and interests of all children to enable them to be curious, engaged and motivated to read;
- how to choose and use quality texts to support contextualised teaching of phonics and language development;
- a range of strategies and teaching approaches that support children to use and apply growing phonic knowledge in the context of real reading experiences, supporting the progression of a Developing Readers’ word recognition, reader response and comprehension.
- the confidence in how to select texts to broaden the reading experiences of children in Years 1 and 2, growing their range and breadth of reading, supporting their growing independence as readers and preparing them for the transition to Key Stage 2.
What participants will receive:
- Participants will receive guidance on the knowledge, skills, attitudes and understanding involved in becoming a Developing Reader.
- Participants are introduced to a wide range of quality texts suitable for Key Stage 1 alongside practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.
- Participants receive a handout of the presentation slides, along with a free teaching sequence for The Last Wolf and a free Take 5 Home Learning Resource example, supporting immediate implementation at school.
- Participants receive a pre-registration email three days before the training date with details on how to join the Zoom session.
Webinar price is per person.
This is the second in a series of four webinars: teachers and leaders might attend one or all four to embed consistency of practice from Nursery to Year 6.
All elements of the training are in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
As an NQT who has had their training curtailed due to the pandemic, I found it really interesting and helpful, because it showed a clear progression in reading and how it links with writing too. I loved the ideas!
Teacher on Understanding the Reading Journey in Year 1 and 2, 2020