Teaching Language and Grammar Using Quality Texts - Webinar
This webinar demonstrates how well-crafted, quality texts provide the context for teachers to demonstrate the impact of written language choices on a reader. Teachers will have practical opportunity to reflect on how their response to a text can be shaped by the author’s particular choice of vocabulary, punctuation and grammatical structures.
Deeper readers response, text analysis and practical writing and editing activities will provide the context to use terminology associated with grammatical concepts and to strengthen teacher subject knowledge in this area of the National Curriculum and to meet the requirements across all Key Stages.
Teachers should leave the webinar feeling more confident to use this subject knowledge to plan explicitly the kinds of classroom experiences that lead to critical reading behaviours and richer writing outcomes across a range of contexts, such as description of setting or plot moments, characterisation, explanation, biased reporting or biography.
In this session, you will draw on different teaching approaches to enhance your confidence in teaching language and grammar, including:
- How to analyse and name the grammatical features in authentic texts.
- Methods to explain grammatical concepts clearly through examples from quality and authentic texts.
- The importance of the use a variety of authentic texts to offer students multiple encounters with language-in-action.
- Inspiring ways to enhance your reading aloud practices in the classroom.
- How to talk about the impact and specific effects created by an author's language and grammar checks.
- Supporting children to transfer this knowledge into their own writing and understand how to make meaning through language and grammar choices.
- Understanding how to consolidate and build on children's existing knowledge about language.
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once a place has been secured, the participant will receive a pre-registration email three days before the training date with details on how to join the session. Please ensure that you register in advance of the event start time. If you have any issues, please email [email protected].
Webinar price is per person.