Power of Reading Online Training - Group 3
The Power of Reading is CLPE’s proven programme that supports your school to develop a high quality literacy curriculum which fosters a whole school love of reading and writing and raises achievement in literacy. It is now available as an online, distance learning programme.
This 8 session training programme, uses high quality children’s literature and proven creative teaching approaches to help teachers to plan and deliver an engaging literacy curriculum. The Power of Reading is a long standing programme which was first developed in 2005. It has a rich evidence base and has raised achievement in more than 5000 schools. 98% of teachers saw improved engagement in children’s reading and 97% saw an improvement in children’s writing. Children who are part of the programme make an additional six months progress compared to their peers.
What you will learn:
This online course, delivered over 8, 2.5 hour sessions, is underpinned by extensive research and is designed by our highly experienced team of teachers who bring their professional knowledge and teaching experience to the Power of Reading training. This training meets all requirements of the National Curriculum and covers:
- Improving knowledge of children's literature and its role in developing children's literacy;
- Improving the reading environment and access to texts;
- The role of reading aloud in developing children as readers and writers;
- Planning and delivering text based units of work;
- Exploring a range of creative approaches and their role in engaging children in literacy;
- Embedding reading skills and strategies in the whole class teaching of English;
- Using quality texts to teach language, vocabulary and grammar in context and develop greater depth in writing;
- Exploring the development of language and ideas for writing;
- The role of storytelling in developing children's understanding of narrative;
- Using drama to improve comprehension and composition;
- Using non-fiction to develop understanding of audience and authorial voice;
- The importance of poetry in developing children as readers and writers;
- Choosing and using high-quality children’s literature to build an English curriculum throughout the school;
- Developing a reading for pleasure culture throughout the school.
As well as 8, live and interactive webinars led by CLPE's expert teaching team, participants will also have immediate access to recordings of the sessions.
Participants will need to have access to our CLPE School Membership prior to starting this training. This membership gives whole school access to our Power of Reading teaching sequences for every year group from Nursery to Y7, as well as examples of how teachers have implemented their training back in the classroom and access to a wide range of home learning activities. Purchase your CLPE School Membership
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once a place has been secured, the participant will receive a pre-registration email three days before the training date with details on how to join the session. Please ensure that you register in advance of the event start time. If you have any issues, please email email@example.com.
Course price is per person.
We can deliver the online training programme for groups of schools. For more information about commissioning an online project please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A wonderful example of the success of the Power of Reading can be seen in the outstanding Ofsted Report 2023 for one of CLPE's Associate Schools Hillmorton Primary School, Rugby
The CPD is fantastic and has really got me thinking about my department and the curriculum in a way I haven't thought of in the past. It's a real help. Thank you.
PoR Online Course attendee, 2020-21
The best bit of CPD I've attended. Really practical! Thank you!
PoR Online Course attendee, 2020-21