Planning a Text Based Curriculum Around Happy Here - Webinar
This webinar will introduce participants to an exciting new title that CLPE has worked in collaboration with BookTrust and the publisher Knights Of to produce and distribute across all Primary schools in England. Happy Here is an illustrated middle grade collection of short stories written and illustrated by some of the finest emerging and established Black British talent. The book is an embodiment of the exemplary practice identified in our Reflecting Realities research.
The session will draw on this title to:
- reflect on the value of curating quality, inclusive and representative literature;
- develop knowledge and understanding of the key features of quality representative literature;
- investigate the learning opportunities that a text based unit inspired by this title affords and what this might look like in practice in a KS2 classroom.
Our expert teaching team will discuss how a unit such as this can be used to increase children’s knowledge about reading and writing, including authorial intent, contextualised opportunities for developing children’s knowledge of language and grammar and how to write effectively for a range of purposes, audiences and forms, and thereby raising engagement and attainment in reading and writing.
What will you gain from this webinar?
- An understanding of the value of curating quality, inclusive and representative literature;
- An understanding of how to use a text to plan for the English and wider curriculum in Key Stage 2.