An introduction to Meeting the Needs of Children with English as an Additional Language - Webinar
The webinar content is based on the research and best practice from CLPE’s Meeting the Needs of Children with English as an Additional Language training programme.
This session will provide an introduction to pupils with EAL. Participants will have the opportunity to reflect on what we mean by the term EAL and what this means for pupils and schools. Throughout the session, we will explore the importance of understanding how language acquisition progresses, including how to build a picture of a child to identify and begin to support their needs. Through a range of high quality children’s literature and successful teaching approaches and strategies, practitioners will explore a range of activities specifically chosen to support the needs of EAL learners as part of quality first teaching, referencing common areas of development and how to address these in planning and teaching.
What will participants gain?
- An understanding of the stages of language acquisition
- A knowledge of the learning and language demands that children must navigate at different stages of language acquisition.
- Examples of high quality texts, teaching approaches and strategies that can be used in the classroom to support pupil’s developing language acquisition at different stages.
Focus texts for this online course:
- Rain by Bob Graham
- Thinker, My Puppy Poet and Me by Eloise Greenfield and Ehsan Abdollahi
- Here I Am by Patti Kim
- Cosmic Disco by Grace Nichols
This webinar is delivered via Zoom. Once you have secured your place, you will receive a confirmation email detailing how to join the session. If you have any issues, please email email@example.com