The Power of a Rich Reading Classroom – Reflecting Realities, Nurturing Reader Identity - 2 hour Online INSET
This two hour online INSET will provide an insight into the rationale, key findings and notable patterns identified as part of our award winning Reflecting Realities research.
Participants will have the opportunity to reflect on the role of literature in shaping children’s sense of self and reader identity, as well as, considering how we nurture positive reader identity and broaden children’s outlook through the use of quality inclusive literature.
We will explore the challenges of a lack of visibility of marginalised pupils within literature and the curriculum and how to overcome this through the use of quality titles that exemplify the best of inclusive, representative literature currently on the market.
Throughout the session, participants will be introduced to a wide range of high quality ethnically representative titles that can be used from Early Years to Year 6 with practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.
Over the course of the two hour session, staff will:
- An understanding of the key features that constitute quality inclusive, ethically representative literature.
- An appreciation of some of the pitfalls of problematic portrayals and the ways in which this can compromise the reading experience.
- Examples of high quality inclusive titles with opportunities to consider how they might benefit young readers and shape their outlook.
- Guidance on key considerations for curating quality inclusive literature and integrating this across your provision.
Books highlighted in this online training include:
- Astro Girl by Ken Wilson-Max
- My Pet Star by Corrinne Averiss, illustrated by Rosalind Beardshaw
- Planet Omar by Zainab Mian
- The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander, illustrated by Kadir Nelson
Individual schools wishing to partake in online 2 hour sessions will have the option to select a date and time for this session to take place for a fixed fee of £500. To book, please complete our Booking Enquiry Form.