Developing a Reading for Pleasure School and Library, INSET
This INSET day will support teachers and leaders to plan for increased engagement and attainment in reading across the primary years.
We will demonstrate creative teaching approaches designed to target specific reading skills and increase children’s motivation to read with a greater depth of understanding, leading to increased engagement and attainment across your school.
We will also focus on how to create and manage reading areas and school libraries to make this stock accessible; developing children’s self-selection and independence in reading and fostering a love of reading in the school community.
The whole staff group will have the opportunity to reflect on the importance of providing a range and breadth of quality children’s literature in developing engaged and motivated readers across the school.
The training day will focus on the following key areas:
- What do we mean by Reading for Pleasure?
- Why is this an important experience for all children?
- Choosing and using texts for different reading experiences, designed to promote reading for pleasure.
- How to develop and maintain reading areas, including a school library.
- Investigating and trialling teaching approaches designed to raise engagement and attainment in reading across the school
Individual schools wishing to partake in INSET days will have the option to select a date focused on this area. To book, please complete our booking enquiry form