Developing Early Readers in Key Stage 2 one day INSET
This one day INSET will develop an understanding of how to teach and apply phonics in KS2 to ensure progress in reading and writing. Teachers will deepen their subject knowledge in teaching the basic and complex phonic codes and will learn how to identify the gaps for individual learners, leading them to reading fluency.
Throughout the day, we will explore a range of strategies and resources for closing the gaps, using quality children’s literature and a range of practical activities. We will develop Key Stage 2 teachers' understanding of the process of reading and writing, recognising the impact that the systematic teaching of phonics can have on children’s decoding and writing skills. We will clarify subject knowledge around the terminology related to phonics teaching and the expectations related to the pace and progression of learning, looking at how to Identify and address gaps in phonic development.
Teachers will receive a resource pack featuring planning ideas for high quality texts aimed at Key Stage 2 Early Readers to exemplify how to reinforce the teaching of phonics within the wider reading curriculum.
The training day will focus on the following key areas:
- Understanding the reading journey - how reading develops
- Planning for a systematic approach to the teaching of phonics
- Learning the language of text, story, song and rhyme and the importance of early phonological development
- Identifying and synthesising speech sounds
- Becoming familiar with the basic phonic code and teaching the core skills of blending and segmenting
- Becoming familiar with the complex phonics code and investigative approaches for helping children to understand patterns for reading and spelling
- Exemplifying how to use quality texts to promote phonics and language learning
- Considering how to provide a broad and balanced reading curriculum in Key Stage 2 to support the phonics programme and wider reading knowledge
Individual schools wishing to partake in INSET days will have the option to select a date focused on this area. To book, please complete our booking enquiry form