Location:Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
London SE1 8QW Map
- Explore how to teach spelling effectively in KS1 and KS2, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum;
- Investigate key knowledge and strategies specific to stages of development;
- Develop teachers’ subject knowledge and understanding in how to teach spelling by introducing them to a range of strategies and approaches specific to their key stage;
- Exemplify the role that a rich reading curriculum plays in ensuring that children become confident and effective spellers in a range of different contexts.
Enhance knowledge and understanding in how to teach spelling effectively to children from Year 1 to Year 6, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
This one-day course is designed by experts and explores a range of strategies and approaches based on proven classroom practice and the research from the CLPE publication Understanding Spelling. Particular attention is given to the role that a rich reading curriculum plays in ensuring that all children become confident and effective spellers in a range of contexts.
What you will learn:
- The continuum of development in spelling from the early stages to competency in a range of contexts;
- Evidence-based classroom environments, practice and provision that enable children at various stages of development to learn to spell effectively;
- Subject knowledge in the alphabetic code and spelling systems unique to the English language;
- How to develop a classroom culture of curiosity and collaboration in which learners are confident to take an investigative approach to spelling in a rich reading curriculum;
- How to choose and use a range of quality children's literature that builds a repertoire of vocabulary, creates connections and provides spelling models;
- Subject knowledge in the range of spelling strategies which best support particular contexts.
What participants will receive:
As well as a full day training and lunch, all participants will receive a a copy of CLPE’s highly acclaimed publication Understanding Spelling as well as planning notes, based on quality children's literature, to help put the strategies from the course into practice in the classroom.
Participants will receive joining instructions for the course one week before the training date. If you have any queries, please email [email protected].
Why choose CLPE for your literacy training?
CLPE is a respected, trusted and innovative centre of excellence, its reputation established over its fifty-year history of training teachers in best practice that is rooted in ground-breaking research. Our responsiveness to trends and patterns in education means we are able to guide you in interpreting policy with integrity.
Our face-to-face courses are all held at our Literacy Library a unique 25,000 volume resource, which enables us to place high-quality children’s literature at the heart of our ethos and practice. Each course is delivered by one of CLPE’s expert advisory teachers, who can draw on decades of experience and expertise in leadership and literacy, supporting you to effect sustainable change that is built on a solid foundation of evidence.