Location:Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
London SE1 8QW Map
Enhance knowledge and understanding in how to teach spelling effectively to children from Year 2 to Year 6, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
This one-day course is designed by experts and explores a range of strategies and approaches based on proven classroom practice and the research from the CLPE publication Understanding Spelling. Particular attention is given to the role that a rich reading curriculum plays in ensuring that all children become confident and effective spellers in a range of contexts.
What you will learn:
- The continuum of development in spelling from the early stages to competency in a range of contexts;
- Evidence-based classroom environments, practice and provision that enable children at various stages of development to learn to spell effectively;
- Subject knowledge in the alphabetic code and spelling systems unique to the English language;
- How to develop a classroom culture of curiosity and collaboration in which learners are confident to take an investigative approach to spelling in a rich reading curriculum;
- How to choose and use a range of quality children's literature that builds a repertoire of vocabulary, cretaes connections and provides spelling models;
- Subject knowledge in the range of spelling strategies which best support particular contexts.
What participants will receive:
As well as a full day training and lunch, all participants will receive a a copy of CLPE’s highly acclaimed publication Understanding Spelling as well as planning notes, based on quality children's literature, to help put the strategies from the course into practice in the classroom.