Teaching Writing - Years 5 and 6
Location:Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
London SE1 8QW Map
Enhance your knowledge and understanding in how to teach writing to children in Year 5 and 6 by using literacy strategies specific to Upper Key Stage 2, in line with the requirements and expectations of the National Curriculum and Statutory Assessments.
This one-day course is designed by experts in Key Stage 2, providing subject knowledge in how to ensure progress and achievement in writing through the development of crucial knowledge, skills, attitudes and experience. Particular attention will be given to choosing and using high-quality children’s literature to support the needs and interests of children, inspire a range of meaningful writing opportunities and foster a community of confident, competent writers.
This course is one of four Teaching Writing courses tailored to the needs of children in Nursery to Year 6, meaning teachers can undertake one course on its own or attend all four courses to embed consistency of practice throughout their school.
What you will learn:
- Understand how writing develops how to support progress and achievement in Upper Key Stage 2;
- The writing practices that shape a community of writers in which children are curious, engaged and motivated to write collaboratively, individually and independently;
- How to choose and use quality texts to exemplify authentic literary forms and writing voices, provide language models, enrich vocabulary and inspire opportunities for writing;
- The teaching approaches that best support an authentic writing process, including language and vocabulary acquisition, building of imaginative ideas, drafting, editing and publication;
- How to support fluent writers to write across a range of forms with increasing independence and agency;
- A range of strategies and approaches that enable children to identify and make careful language and grammar choices to write at greater depth;
- How to to use and apply spelling knowledge in real writing contexts;
- How to develop motor skills and encourage legibility, fluency and stamina.
What participants will receive:
As well as a full day training and lunch, all participants will receive a high-quality children's book and planning notes to help put the strategies from the course into practice in the classroom.
So many great ideas that can be immediately implemented in the classroom so many great ideas that can be immediately implemented in the classroom.
Good theory, great practical ideas and lovely books to take away.
Very detailed and great practical fun applications for pupils that don't require vast effort and time for teachers.