Teaching Writing - Years 3 and 4
Location:Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
London SE1 8QW Map
Enhance knowledge and understanding in how to teach writing to children in Year 3 and 4 by using literacy strategies specific to Lower Key Stage 2, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
This one-day course is designed by experts in Key Stage 2, providing subject knowledge in how to ensure progress and achievement in writing through the development of crucial knowledge, skills, attitudes and experience. Particular attention will be given to choosing and using high-quality children’s literature to support the needs and interests of children, inspire a range of meaningful writing opportunities and foster a community of confident, competent writers.
This course is one of four Teaching Writing courses tailored to the needs of children in Nursery to Year 6, meaning teachers can undertake one course on its own or attend all four courses to embed consistency of practice throughout their school.
What you will learn:
- Understand how writing develops and how to support progress and achievement in Lower Key Stage 2;
- The writing practices that shape a community of writers in which children are curious, engaged and motivated to write collaboratively, individually and independently;
- How to choose and use quality texts to exemplify authentic literary forms and writing voices, provide language models, enrich vocabulary and inspire opportunities for writing;
- The teaching approaches that best support an authentic writing process, including language and vocabulary acquisition, building of imaginative ideas, drafting, editing and publication;
- How to support developing writers to write with fluency across a range of forms with purpose and audience in mind;
- A range of strategies and approaches that enable children to use and apply spelling, punctuation and grammar knowledge in real writing contexts;
- How to develop motor skills and encourage legibility, fluency and stamina.
What participants will receive:
As well as a full day training and lunch, all participants will receive a high-quality children's book and planning notes to help put the strategies from the course into practice in the classroom.
Lots of great suggestions and strategies, Charlotte was fantastic, very energetic and engaging.
Thank you for giving me a powerful insight into strong quality writing approaches.
Very informative, effective CPD. This has helped me to plan more effectively.