Teaching Reading in Years 5 and 6
The one day Teaching Reading in Years 5 and 6 course investigates a range of reading strategies to increase children's confidence and independence as readers, ensuring they are prepared to read at greater depth in Key Stage 2.
The day will cover a range of strategies to help teachers extend children’s reading choices and their engagement with reading, and will provide a thorough grounding in the range and breadth of high-quality literature needed to support and deepen children’s comprehension skills, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum, the new reading framework and the end of Key Stage 2 statutory assessments.
What you will learn:
Led by our expert teaching team, the course covers the following key areas of reading development at upper Key Stage 2:
- How to deepen children’s fluency, stamina and confidence as readers.
- How to identify and plan a range of well-chosen activities around high-quality texts to extend children’s reading choices, engagement and enjoyment.
- Strategies to investigate, develop and assess reading practices including:
- Reading aloud
- Reading in a group
- Individual reading
- Independent reading
- The importance of continuing to read for purpose and pleasure.
What will participants receive:
As well as leading insights from our expert teaching team, all participants will receive two high-quality texts and planning notes to help with the immediate implementation of the day’s training in their own classrooms.
Participants will be supported in their phase-specific learning, and gain a deeper understanding of:
- The use of quality children’s books to develop and activities to support reading engagement, confidence and reading for pleasure.
- What comprehension looks like across KS2 and how to support all children make progress towards greater depth at the end of KS2.
- Why and how to encourage reading for pleasure and purpose, and how to help children make carefully considered choices with their reading.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
So many great ideas that can be immediately implemented in the classroom.
Very detailed and great practical fun applications for pupils that don't require vast effort and time for teachers.