Teaching Reading in Years 3 and 4
The one day Teaching Reading in Years 3 and 4 course equips teachers with proven and practical strategies to help identify and ensure reading progress across lower Key Stage 2.
The course investigates ways to continue to develop children's word recognition skills and deepen and assess comprehension skills across Years 3 and 4, using a text-based approach to help plan and apply well-chosen activities around high-quality children's literature, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum and the new reading framework.
What you will learn:
The course has been designed with the specific needs of Years 3 and 4 learners in mind by our expert teaching team, and covers the following key areas:
- How to extend reading fluency and stamina.
- How to encourage children to read for purpose and pleasure.
- Strategies to develop reading practices including:
- Reading aloud
- Reading in a group
- Individual reading
- Independent reading
- How to deepen comprehension skills through using a range of activities focussed on high quality texts.
- Learning to identify progress and assess growing comprehension skills.
- How to support children with gaps in learning.
What will participants receive?
As well as research-led insights from experts in lower Key Stage 2 provision, all participants will receive two high-quality texts and planning notes to help with the immediate implementation of the day’s training in their own classrooms.
Participants will be supported in their year group specific learning, an will gain greater confidence in:
- Planning a range of activities around quality children’s books to develop reading engagement and reading for pleasure.
- Supporting progress in reading across Key Stage 2.
- Extending reading fluency and stamina to support developing comprehension.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
Thoroughly enjoyed this course. Learn lots and made me reflect on my own readers and how I can support them.
Excellent course leaders - deep background knowledge and clear explanations!
Really inspiring and helpful to go back to school with authority to be more creative!