Teaching Reading in Years 1 and 2
The one day Teaching Reading in Years 1 and 2 course will provide teachers with a grounding in how to support children’s growing comprehension skills, and in developing reading fluency and stamina, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum. The session follows a text-based approach and provides teachers with strategies to plan well-chosen activities around a range of quality children’s literature to ensure children are reading for pleasure at Key Stage 1.
What you will learn:
Led by our expert teaching team, the course will foreground:
- How to develop reading fluency, including word recognition and the use and application of phonics in Years 1 and 2.
- How to plan a range of activities to support and assess children’s growing comprehension skills.
- How to use use a range of high-quality texts to support different reading practices including:
- Reading aloud
- Reading in a group
- Individual reading
- Independent reading
- How to use a wide-range of high quality texts to strengthen children’s engagement with reading, and to read for purpose and pleasure.
What participants will receive:
As well as research-led insights from experts in Key Stage 1 provision, all participants will receive two high-quality texts and planning notes to help with the immediate implementation of the day’s training in their own classrooms.
Participants will explore key literacy strategies specific to teaching reading in Years 1 and 2 and will gain:
- An insight into a range of activities to build reading engagement and reading for pleasure.
- An understanding of how to support children to make considered reading choices.
- How to support children’s developing comprehension in Years 1 and 2.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
I would recommend this course because the key messages are excellent; the teaching approaches are relevant, interactive and challenging; the day was well-paced and well-structured; the texts were great!
Full of great content, practical ideas and activities. Thank you so so much, fantastic course!
Very informative, well paced and very useful - thank you for a brilliant course, I really enjoyed the day!