Teaching Reading in the Early Years
The one day Teaching Reading in Early Years course equips teachers in guiding children through their first steps in reading, in line with the requirements of the new Early Years Foundation Stage framework, Development Matters and the new reading framework.
The session follows a text-based approach and introduces participants to a range of high-quality children’s literature to be used to support a variety of reading practices, to develop children's word recognition, comprehension and to foster reading for pleasure in Nursery and Reception.
What you will learn:
This course has been designed to cover key reading needs in the Early Years and will explore:
- Elements of word recognition including phonics.
- How to develop reading practices around:
- Reading aloud
- Reading in a group
- Individual reading
- Activities to encourage and engage children in reading for pleasure.
- Strategies to encourage early comprehension skills.
What participants will receive:
As well as research-led insights from experts in Early Years provision, all participants will receive two high-quality texts and planning notes to help implement the day’s training immediately in classrooms.
Participants are provided with literacy strategies specific to Early Years provision and will:
- Strengthen their subject knowledge in phonics and word recognition.
- Recognise how to identify reading progression in the Early Years.
- Develop confidence in identifying a variety of appropriate, high quality children's books and planning activities around them to support reading development.
- Gain an understanding of how to select and develop a range of reading practices across Nursery and Reception including whole class, group and individual reading as well as the contexualised teaching of language and phonics.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
I would definitely recommend this course, so many ideas that can be put into practice.
I feel confident to use the knowledge I gained today to improve children's writing.
I thoroughly enjoyed this course it was so relevant to our current learning environment and our aims.