Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text - Years 5 and 6
Location:Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
London SE1 8QW Map
Enhance your knowledge and understanding of how to use high quality texts in Years 5 and 6 to develop literacy alongside specific knowledge and skills in other curriculum areas for a cohesive and enriched learning experience for all children.
This one day course will develop practitioner’s subject knowledge of how to build the Upper Key Stage 2 curriculum around quality texts, carefully chosen to link with other curriculum areas. Particular attention will be given to supporting the development of children’s language and critical thinking across the curriculum, sharing how knowledge gained from core texts in literacy sessions can support cross-curricular learning and how to enrich knowledge in other subject areas to develop a greater depth of understanding and response in reading and writing in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
What you will learn:
- How to identify appropriate, high quality texts and plan activities around them to support and develop children’s language and critical thinking across a range of curriculum areas.
- Ways to link high quality texts with multiple subjects across the curriculum for a cohesive and enriched learning experience.
- How to enrich and expand children’s language using a range of creative approaches to link literacy with wider cross-curricular learning.
- Activities and approaches to deepen children’s critical thinking and to develop learning in all areas of the classroom.
- Activities and approaches to enhance knowledge from other curriculum areas e.g. history and geography, by providing cross-curricular links with literacy.
- How to extend creative skills and critical thinking to support children’s engagement and attainment in speaking, listening, reading and writing in wider curriculum topics.
- Effective approaches to plan and develop a broad rich curriculum to ensure progress and attainment for all children.
What participants will receive?
As well as a full day of training and lunch, all participants will receive a high quality children's book and detailed teaching plans for a half term of cross curricular learning around the text, including knowledge to support key curriculum areas to help put the strategies from the course into practice in the classroom.
A fantastic session that was interesting, engaging and full of easily accessible teaching ideas.
This will impact my classroom in every possible way! I am inspired beyond belief. I feel invigorated and overwhelmed in the best way. SO FAB!
I would recommend this course to someone else because this is how we should all be teaching!