Planning the Curriculum Around a Quality Text - Years 5 and 6
This one-day course will develop practitioner’s subject knowledge of how to build the Upper KS2 curriculum around quality texts, carefully chosen to link with other curriculum areas. Particular attention will be given to supporting the development of children’s language and critical thinking across the curriculum, sharing how knowledge gained from core texts in literacy sessions can support cross-curricular learning and how to enrich knowledge in other subject areas to develop a greater depth of understanding and response in reading and writing, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
What you will learn:
- Ways to link high quality texts with multiple subjects across the curriculum for a cohesive and enriched learning experience.
- How to enrich and expand children’s language using a range of creative approaches to link literacy with wider cross-curricular learning.
- Ways to deepen children’s critical thinking and to develop learning in all areas of the classroom.
- In depth creative teaching approaches to enhance higher order thinking to ensure progress and attainment for all children in reading, writing and spoken language across the curriculum.
- How to enhance knowledge from other curriculum areas e.g. history and geography, by providing cross-curricular links with literacy
What participants will receive:
All of our planning the curriculum around high quality texts courses include 1 high quality text with associated detailed planning to allow teachers to implement course ideas and strategies immediately in the classroom.
- Recognise how to support and develop children’s language and critical thinking across Years 5 and 6 across a range of curriculum areas.
- Develop confidence in identifying a variety of appropriate, high quality texts and planning activities around them to support the development of subject related knowledge, language and vocabulary across curriculum areas in Years 5 and 6.
- Gain an understanding of how to plan a range of activities across the curriculum to support a greater depth of knowledge about reading and writing and increased progress across Year 5 and 6.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
A fantastic session that was interesting, engaging and full of easily accessible teaching ideas.
This will impact my classroom in every possible way! I am inspired beyond belief. I feel invigorated and overwhelmed in the best way. SO FAB!
I would recommend this course to someone else because this is how we should all be teaching!