Phonics in a Rich Reading Curriculum
This two-day training offers teachers clear guidance for the provision of a systematic phonics programme, supporting children to become independent readers. This programme has been designed to strengthen practitioner knowledge and understanding of knowledge and terminology in relation to phonics, in line with Early Years Foundation Stage and National Curriculum requirements and will provide ideas and resources to help plan for the successful use and application of phonics learning in the wider curriculum.
Every participant will receive an extensive resource pack designed to help put the ideas from the course into practice across Early Years Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1.
What you will learn:
This two-day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover following key areas:
- What is reading?
- Why phonics?
- A systematic approach.
- Learning the language of text, story, song and rhyme and the importance of early phonological development.
- Identifying and synthesising speech sounds.
- Planning for the use and application of phonics within a literacy rich curriculum in the Early Years Foundation Stage.
- Introducing gap tasks for participants.
- Reflection and feedback on gap tasks.
- How reading develops.
- A systematic approach.
- Analysing patterns in words.
- Assessing reading skills and strategies.
- Exemplifying a literacy rich curriculum in Key Stage 1.
What participants will receive:
As well as two full days training, all participants will receive a resource pack designed to help put the strategies from the course into practice across Early Years Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1. The pack includes carefully selected high quality texts, sample long term planning outlining a systematic approach to the teaching of phonics, two detailed planning sequences to use in the classroom and research publications to support ongoing development of subject knowledge.
Participants will be provided with the tools to implement a quality writing provision across their school and will:
- Improve their subject knowledge in the teaching of early reading and writing.
- Explore how to plan a systematic approach to the teaching of phonics across Early Years and Key Stage 1, supporting children to become independent readers and writers.
- Understand how to develop activities to allow children to use and apply phonic skills as part of a rich reading and writing experience, as well as developing their comprehension and compositional skills.
- Explore a wide range of high quality literature to support early readers of all ages, exploring the vital role this plays in supporting the journey of progression in reading; developing confident, competent and motivated readers and writers.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
Very helpful course with excellent resources - it has really helped me gain an understanding of how children can learn literacy and what to expect from them at different ages.
An inspiring and thoroughly enjoyable course. A very common sense and practical approach which I enjoyed. I loved the range of texts and the different ways they could be used.
This course has developed my ideas for phonics practise and helped me to unpick why and how to address phonics teaching.