Meeting the Needs of More Able Pupils in Years 5 and 6
Run in partnership with the English and Media Centre, this course looks at how knowledge and skills can be developed in KS2 to stretch and challenge students, and equips teachers on how best to prepare and guide pupils as they transition into KS3.
What you will learn:
Led by experts across primary and secondary teaching, the day’s highly practical and text-rich session will cover:
- How to identify what a more able reader and writer looks like.
- How to support reading and writing progression in Year 5 and 6.
- A range of strategies to enable pupils to reach greater depth in reading and writing.
- What to look out for when selecting texts to promote higher order thinking skills.
- How to encourage critical thinking and encourage children to write with a reader in mind.
- How to plan a range of exploratory activities to develop comprehension and understanding of authorial voice, and how to incorporate these into a text-based sequence of work.
What participants will receive:
As well as research-led insights from the CLPE and English and Media Centre’s teaching teams, all participants will receive a high quality text and detailed planning to help with the immediate implementation of the day’s training.
Teachers will be exposed to a range of ideas and strategies to help stretch and challenge their pupils beyond expected literacy attainment levels. Teachers will gain:
- A deeper understanding of the relationship between writer and the reader, and a range of classroom ideas to help pupils ‘read with a writer’s eye’ and ‘write with a reader’s eye’.
- Greater confidence in identifying high-quality texts to boost higher-order thinking and in planning a range of activities around them to support a greater depth of understanding in reading and writing.
- A range of strategies to support progress beyond KS2 into KS3.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
The course has given me plenty to think about and develop, as well as practical activities to explore.
Thank you for an inspiring and motivating course. Great CPD!
Highly useful, really enjoyable course. Took a lot from it to implement at my school.