Meeting the Needs of Early Readers in Key Stage 2
Location:Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
London SE1 8QW Map
This two day course will develop an understanding of how to teach and apply phonics in KS2 to ensure progress in reading and writing in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum. Participants will deepen their subject knowledge in teaching the basic and complex phonic codes and will learn how to identify the gaps for individual learners, leading them to reading fluency. They will explore a range of strategies and resources for closing the gaps, using quality children’s literature and a range of practical activities.
All participants will receive an extensive resource pack featuring six high quality texts and their associated detailed planning to support the teaching of phonics within the wider reading curriculum.
What you will learn:
This two day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover the following key areas:
- Understand the journey of reading development and the practice and provision that supports children's progress
- Explore and stress the importance of developing phonological awareness
- Clarify expectations surrounding the pace and progression of phonics teaching
- Understand how to choose and use texts to develop early reading skills, including phonics
- Understand ways to reinforce the basic phonic code and teach the complex code, exploring the related subject knowledge
- Investigate activities to support the teaching of spelling rules and patterns beyond phonics
- Explore text-based activities that are designed to support early readers in developing their reading fluency
- Look at how to use a high quality text to promote language, reading and writing
What participants will receive?
As well as two full days training, all participants will receive an extensive resource pack featuring six high quality texts and their associated detailed planning to support implementation of what you have learned back in the classroom.
Participants will be provided with the tools to implement a quality writing provision across their school and will:
- Explore the continuum of development in reading to gain a sound understanding of the needs of Early Readers in Key Stage 2 and the practice and provision that best supports their needs.
- Understand how to respond to the differing needs of early readers in Key Stage 2.
- Explore how to use quality children’s literature aimed at the emotional literacy levels of Key Stage 2 children to teach reading skills and strategies as well as building motivation, confidence, self-esteem and reader identity.
- Investigate common gaps in older children’s reading experiences and how to target these with specifically chosen activities to enable progress.
- Explore how to build word recognition skills, including the use of phonics to aid reading fluency.
- Investigate a range of activities that support children at the early stages of reading in Key Stage 2 to develop fluency and build comprehension.
- Think about how to choose and use texts in their own classrooms to meet the needs of Early Readers.
This course will be led by CLPE’s Darren Matthews.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.