Developing the Role of the English Subject Leader
Location:Centre for Literacy in Primary Education
London SE1 8QW Map
Enhance and develop the leadership of English across the Primary years to impact on staff subject subject knowledge and children's engagement and attainment.
This 4 day course provides professional and inclusive approaches to develop a clear vision for literacy teaching across the whole school, in line with the EYFS Statutory Framework and the National Curriculum. Ideal for those new to the role or existing leaders, participants will be given the tools to effectively use their knowledge and resources to improve standards of learning and achievement for all pupils across the school.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's School Membership.
What you will learn:
This four-day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover:
- Understanding and identifying priorities in English within school and national contexts;
- Develop and lead a clear and inclusive vision for English learning and progress across their whole school, based on relevant research and best practice;
- Identify how to support their staff to implement their vision in the classroom;
- Building, developing, evaluating and refining an effective Curriculum for English;
- Identifying and supporting the professional development of staff in English;
- Improving knowledge of children's literature and its role in developing children's literacy;
- Choosing and using high-quality children’s literature to build an English curriculum throughout the school;
- Developing a reading for pleasure culture throughout the school;
- Developing practice and subject knowledge in the teaching of reading across your school;
- Developing practice and subject knowledge in the teaching writing across your school;
- Understanding, monitoring and evaluating practice and provision throughout the school;
- Understanding and ensuring progress for all children.
What participants will receive:
As well as four full days training, all participants will receive a book pack containing an anthology of related reading and related theoretical handbooks, to deepen their subject knowledge.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's School Membership. This resource gives your whole school access to Power of Reading teaching sequences, classroom materials, curriculum maps and our Take 5 home learning activities. It provides ideas, inspiration and structure for your literacy curriculum, raising literacy standards and developing a love of reading and writing.
Your CLPE School membership will be activated upon payment of the course and will run for 12 months.
The impact in school was far beyond my initial expectations. This course has inspired me so much, and this enthusiasm has definitely rubbed off on other staff and most importantly on the children.
The course has encapsulated the ethos and vision we aspire to have. It places the emphasis on the children and is steeped in research and evidence. Though practical research informed strategies, to recommended texts, I feel the learning has been immense.
It has been fantastic for my own development - confirming lots of what I thought but also challenging some misconceptions and introducing a whole range of further reading, pedagogy and research.