Developing the Role of the English Subject Leader
This four day course provides professional and inclusive approaches to develop a clear vision for literacy teaching across the whole school, in line with the National Curriculum. Ideal for those new to the role or existing leaders, participants will be given the tools to effectively use their knowledge and resources to improve standards of learning and achievement for all pupils across the school.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's School Membership.
What you will learn:
This four-day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover:
- Day 1 - Developing an effective Curriculum for English.
- Day 2 - Developing practice and subject knowledge in reading across your school.
- Day 3 - Developing practice and subject knowledge in writing across your school.
- Day 4 - Monitoring and evaluating practice and provision and ensuring progress for all children
What participants will receive:
As well as four full days training, all participants will receive a book pack containing an anthology of related reading and three theoretical handbooks, to deepen their subject knowledge.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's School Membership. This resource gives your whole school access to Power of Reading teaching sequences, classroom materials, curriculum maps and our Take 5 home learning activities. It provides ideas, inspiration and structure for your literacy curriculum, raising literacy standards and developing a love of reading and writing.
Your CLPE School membership will be activated upon payment of the course and will run for 12 months.
Leaders will have extensive input on research, best practice and subject knowledge and will:
- Develop a clear and inclusive vision for English learning and progress across their whole school, based on relevant research and best practice.
- Understand what progress in reading and writing looks like and how to plan to achieve it.
- Recognise the relationship between reading, talking and writing and how to plan for this across the curriculum.
- Receive tools to support effective monitoring and evaluation and build on practice to raise the engagement and attainment of all learners.
- Identify how to support their staff to implement their vision in the classroom.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
The impact in school was far beyond my initial expectations. This course has inspired me so much, and this enthusiasm has definitely rubbed off on other staff and most importantly on the children.
The course has encapsulated the ethos and vision we aspire to have. It places the emphasis on the children and is steeped in research and evidence. Though practical research informed strategies, to recommended texts, I feel the learning has been immense.
It has been fantastic for my own development - confirming lots of what I thought but also challenging some misconceptions and introducing a whole range of further reading, pedagogy and research.