Developing Historical Enquiry through Quality Fiction - World War II
Taught in collaboration with an author of children's historical fiction, this half-day course explores how to use historical fiction to develop a cross-curricular unit of work. Inspired by Bali Rai's Now or Never: A Dunkirk Story, part of the Scholastic Voices series, edited by Tony Bradman, and the associated historical era, this course will offer creative teaching approaches to support improved attainment in literacy and to teach history and other subject areas effectively.
What you will learn:
This course will be delivered by one of CLPE’s expert teaching team alongside an author of children's historical fiction and has been designed to cover:
· How to integrate books into teaching history and other subject areas
· Critical reading skills and how to evaluate sources
· Storytelling skills in fiction and non-fiction texts
· Incorporate creative teaching approaches to history effectively.
What participants will receive?
All participants will receive a copy of Now or Never by Bali Rai and its associated teaching notes to support implementation of ideas from the day, into your own classroom.
Participants are provided with specific strategies to teaching history effectively and will be confident in:
- Choosing appropriate high quality texts and planning activities to support literacy development across history and other subject areas.
- Strengthen subject knowledge of historical fiction.
- The opportunity to work with an author of children’s historical fiction, learning about their research and writing.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
Thoroughly engaging, practical and informative.
Lots of information, resources and an excellent library.
Excellent ideas, ways to incorporate teaching of literature with historical focus.