Developing Early Readers in Key Stage 2
This two-day training has been revised and updated for 2021-22 and offers teachers a clear grounding in effective pedagogy and practice for the effective teaching of early reading in Key Stage 2, including phonics.
The training is designed to support you to develop subject knowledge in the teaching, use and application of phonics, whichever validated scheme your school has decided to use. This will include an overview of the core features of an effective systematic phonics programme and the associated subject knowledge, terminology and practice that runs across all validated schemes.
Across this two-day course, participants will deepen their subject knowledge in teaching the basic and complex phonic codes and will learn how to identify the gaps for individual learners, leading them to reading fluency. They will explore a range of strategies and resources for closing the gaps, using quality children’s literature and a range of practical activities.
All participants will receive an extensive resource pack featuring six high quality texts, teaching notes and further resources to support the teaching of phonics and early reading within the wider reading curriculum at Key Stage 2.
What you will learn:
This two-day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover the following key areas:
- Understand the journey of reading development and the practice and provision that supports children's progress.
- Explore and stress the importance of developing phonological awareness.
- Clarify expectations surrounding the pace and progression of phonics teaching.
- Understand how to choose and use texts to develop early reading skills, including phonics.
- Understand ways to reinforce the basic phonic code and teach the complex code, exploring the related subject knowledge.
- Investigate activities to support the teaching of spelling rules and patterns beyond phonics.
- Explore text-based activities that are designed to support early readers in developing their reading fluency.
- Look at how to use a high quality text to promote language, reading and writing.
What participants will receive?
As well as two full days training, all participants will receive an extensive resource pack featuring six high quality texts, teaching notes and further resources to support implementation of what you have learned back in the classroom.
Participants will be provided with the tools to implement quality reading provision across their school and will:
- Explore the continuum of development in reading to gain a sound understanding of the needs of Early Readers in Key Stage 2 and the practice and provision that best supports their needs.
- Understand how to respond to the differing needs of early readers in Key Stage 2.
- Explore how to use quality children’s literature aimed at the emotional literacy levels of Key Stage 2 children to teach reading skills and strategies as well as building motivation, confidence, self-esteem and reader identity.
- Investigate common gaps in older children’s reading experiences and how to target these with specifically chosen activities to enable progress.
- Explore how to build word recognition skills, including the use of phonics to aid reading fluency.
- Investigate a range of activities that support children at the early stages of reading in Key Stage 2 to develop fluency and build comprehension.
- Think about how to choose and use texts in their own classrooms to meet the needs of Early Readers.
All elements of the training are in line with the requirements of the new Reading Framework and National Curriculum requirements.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
I would recommend this course to gain great insight to incorporate phonics into whole class teaching.
So many ideas and resources to support early readers across the whole school.