Understanding the Reading Journey : Planning for Progression in Years 3-4 - Webinar
This series of webinars will take participants through the CLPE Reading Scale, focussing on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development and will explore the practice and provision that will support children’s progress towards these goals.
This webinar will develop thinking around how to select texts to meet the needs, interests and literary preferences of children in Year 3 and 4 and that will support and broaden their reading experiences across the curriculum.
Please select the date from the drop down menu at the top and select the time you require.
What will participants gain?
- The knowledge, skills, attitudes and understanding involved in becoming a Fluent Reader.
- What reading experiences should be provided in the curriculum?
- What texts and teaching approaches best support these experiences?
- Developing word recognition through contextualised teaching.
- Approaches to develop fluency and comprehension.
- The knowledge, skills and understanding children will gain from these approaches.
This session, focussed on progress and provision for Lower Key Stage 2 will focus on this transitional stage for reading, looking at the range of reading experiences that can be offered to children at this age and how these can be used to develop children’s reading stamina, increased fluency and independence.
We will explore a range of texts that can support teachers to focus on key reading skills and strategies during reading aloud, shared reading, group reading, individual reading, independent reading and home/school reading, including how such texts can support the development of inferential skills, visual literacy and a wide range of cueing systems.
Throughout the session we will share a range of creative teaching approaches designed to develop fluency, reader response and comprehension, extending children’s knowledge about and understanding of what has been read