Understanding the Reading Journey : Planning for Progression in the Early Years - Webinar
This series of webinars will take participants through the CLPE Reading Scale, focussing on key attainment expectations for children at different ages and stages of development and will explore the practice and provision that will support children’s progress towards these goals.
Please select the date from the drop down menu at the top and select the time you require.
What will participants gain?
- The knowledge, skills, attitudes and understanding involved in becoming an Early Reader.
- What reading experiences should be provided in the curriculum?
- What texts and teaching approaches best support these experiences?
- Contextualised teaching of phonics and word recognition.
- Approaches to develop fluency and comprehension.
- The knowledge, skills and understanding children will gain from these approaches.
This session, focussed on progress and provision for the Early Years will focus on the foundations for reading, looking at the range of reading experiences that can be offered to children at this age and how these can be used to develop children’s ability to decode, word recognition and comprehension.
We will explore the kinds of texts that can support teachers to focus on key reading skills and strategies during reading aloud, shared reading, group reading, individual reading, independent reading and home/school reading, including how such texts can support the contextualised teaching of phonics and language development.
The texts chosen will exemplify how to select texts to meet the needs and interests of children in the Early Years and the activities will support children’s learning across the provision.
Throughout the session we will share a range of creative teaching approaches designed to develop fluency, reader response and comprehension, extending children’s knowledge about and understanding of what has been read.