Teaching Reading in Years 5/6
The one day Teaching Reading in Years 5 and 6 course investigates a range of reading strategies to ensure children’s confidence as readers in Key Stage 2. The day will cover a range of strategies to help teachers extend children’s reading choices and their engagement with reading, and will provide a thorough grounding in the range and breadth of high-quality literature needed to support and deepen children’s comprehension skills, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
Please note if you book 3 courses from the Teaching Reading series you will receive the fourth course completely FREE. Please note, this discount is only applicable when booking 1 place for each year group of the Teaching Reading series (Early Years, Years 1/2, Years 3/4 and Years 5/6). This discount will be applied automatically when you checkout.
Who should attend?
Year 5 and 6 teachers, Year 5 and 6 Phase Leaders, Key Stage 2 Co-ordinators
What you will learn:
Led by our expert teaching team, the course covers the following key areas of reading development at upper Key Stage 2:
- How to deepen children’s fluency, stamina and confidence as readers.
- How to identify and plan a range of well-chosen activities around high-quality texts to extend children’s reading choices, engagement and enjoyment.
- Strategies to investigate, develop and assess reading practices including:
- Reading aloud
- Reading in a group
- Individual reading
- Independent reading
- The importance of continuing to read for purpose and pleasure.
What will participants receive?
As well as leading insights from our expert teaching team, all participants will receive two high-quality texts and planning notes to help with the immediate implementation of the day’s training in their own classrooms.
Participants will be supported in their phase-specific learning, and gain a deeper understanding of:
- The use of quality children’s books to develop and activities to support reading engagement, confidence and reading for pleasure.
- What comprehension looks like across KS2 and how to support all children make progress towards greater depth.
- Why and how to encourage reading for pleasure and purpose, and how to help children make carefully considered choices with their reading.
“It gave me a wealth of ideas and material I can use and has given me a fresh perspective on stretching my more able children.”Teacher, 2018