Teaching Reading in Years 1/2
The one day Teaching Reading in Years 1 and 2 course will provide teachers with a grounding in how to support children’s growing comprehension skills, and in developing reading fluency and stamina, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum. The session follows a text-based approach and provides teachers with strategies to plan well-chosen activities around a range of quality children’s literature to ensure children are reading for pleasure at Key Stage 1.
Please note if you book 3 courses from the Teaching Reading series you will receive the fourth course completely FREE. Please note, this discount is only applicable when booking 1 place for each year group of the Teaching Reading series (Early Years, Years 1/2, Years 3/4 and Years 5/6). This discount will be applied automatically when you checkout.
Who should attend?
Year 1 and 2 teachers, KS1 Phase Leaders/Coordinators.
What you will learn:
Led by our expert teaching team, the course will foreground:
- How to develop reading fluency, including word recognition and the use and application of phonics in Years 1 and 2.
- How to plan a range of activities to support and assess children’s growing comprehension skills.
- How to use use a range of high-quality texts to support different reading practices including:
- Reading aloud
- Reading in a group
- Individual reading
- Independent reading
- How to use a wide-range of high quality texts to strengthen children’s engagement with reading, and to read for purpose and pleasure.
What participants will receive?
As well as research-led insights from experts in Key Stage 1 provision, all participants will receive two high-quality texts and planning notes to help with the immediate implementation of the day’s training in their own classrooms.
Participants will explore key literacy strategies specific to teaching reading in Years 1 and 2 and will gain:
- An insight into a range of activities to build reading engagement and reading for pleasure.
- An understanding of how to support children to make considered reading choices.
- How to support children’s developing comprehension in Years 1 and 2.
“I have gained a deeper understanding on how to support children with reading, with ways to understand progress and to encourage the love of reading"Teacher, 2019
"The course has improved my subject knowledge and ability in terms planning for the next steps and moving the children’s learning forward"Teacher, 2019