Teaching Reading in the Early Years
Due to heavy demand our March course has sold out so we are taking bookings for our June date.
The one day Teaching Reading in Early Years course equips teachers in guiding children through their first steps in reading, in line with the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage. The session follows a text-based approach and introduces participants to a range of high-quality children’s literature to be used to support a variety of reading practices, and to foster reading for pleasure in Nursery and Reception.
Please note if you book 3 courses from the Teaching Reading series you will receive the fourth course completely FREE. Please note, this discount is only applicable when booking 1 place for each year group of the Teaching Reading series (Early Years, Years 1/2, Years 3/4 and Years 5/6). This discount will be applied automatically when you checkout.
Who should attend?
Nursery and Reception teachers, Early Years Phase Leaders/Coordinators
What you will learn:
This course has been designed to cover key reading needs in the Early Years and will explore:
- Elements of word recognition including phonics
- How to develop reading practices around:
- Reading aloud
- Reading in a group
- Individual reading
- Activities to encourage and engage children in reading for pleasure
- Strategies to encourage early comprehension skills
What participants will receive?
As well as research-led insights from experts in Early Years provision, all participants will receive two high-quality texts and planning notes to help implement the day’s training immediately in classrooms.
Participants are provided with literacy strategies specific to Early Years provision and will:
- Strengthen their subject knowledge in phonics and word recognition
- Recognise how to identify reading progression in the Early Years
- Develop confidence in identifying a variety of appropriate, high quality children's books and planning activities around them to support reading development
- Gain an understanding of how to select and develop a range of reading practices across Nursery and Reception including whole class, group and individual reading as well as the contexualised teaching of language and phonics.
“Literacy development involves encouraging children to link sounds and letters and to begin to read and write. Children must be given access to a wide range of reading materials (books, poems, and other written materials) to ignite their interest”EYFS Statutory Framework, 2017
“The course has helped me implement practical ideas around high-quality texts as well as provided ways to develop higher-order thinking alongside decoding”Teacher, 2018