Supporting Transition - Foundation Stage to Key Stage 1
If you are interested in this training please email [email protected]
This two day training will guide teachers to manage children’s transition through the Early Years into Key Stage 1. It is designed to strengthen practitioner understanding of children’s literacy development and progress through a rich, text-based curriculum, in line with the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage and National Curriculum and how this supports school readiness, involvement and well-being.
All participants will receive an extensive resource pack to support implementation of ideas from the course back in the classroom.
Who should attend?
English Subject Leaders, Early Years and Key Stage 1 Teachers and Teaching Assistants.
What you will learn:
This two day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover the following key areas:
Day 1 - The Reception Year:
- Laying the foundations for a smooth transition from Reception to Year 1.
- What does effective Early Years practice look like?
- School readiness: understanding literacy progression and planning for literate acts.
- Building reader and writer identity in young children.
- Exemplifying rich curriculum provision in Reception.
- Gap tasks.
Day 2 - Moving on to Year 1:
- Starting from the child: how do we build on children’s early achievements?
- What does transition look like from a child’s perspective?
- The research: keeping it going in Year 1.
- Planning creatively around a text.
- Exemplifying classroom organisation in Year 1.
- Leading and managing transition from Reception to Year 1.
What participants will receive?
As well as two full days training, all participants will receive carefully selected resources, including children’s books and associated detailed planning to successfully implement practice back in the classroom, and research and articles to support subject knowledge.
Participants will be provided with the tools to support children’s transition from the Early Years to Key Stage 1, building school readiness through carefully designed literacy provision in Reception to enable high levels of well-being, involvement and challenge in the Year 1.
This course will be led by CLPE’s Anjali Patel.
"I feel much more confident in allowing for child-led learning. I am looking forward to enabling a variety of teaching practices and hopeful that the course will further attainment in EYFS right through to Year 6."Course Participant, 2018.