Raising Achievement in Writing
This four day course will increase the subject and pedagogical knowledge of teachers and leaders in how to develop high quality writing provision across the key stages that will enable all pupils to make progress and to write with a greater depth of independence and flair. The course will focus on how to improve the quality of transcription and composition, including the context embedded teaching of phonics, spelling and grammar within a rich reading curriculum, in line with the requirements of the National Curriculum.
Every participant will receive an anthology of related reading and a theoretical text to deepen their subject knowledge. Planned activities and gap tasks will focus on how teachers and leaders can use what they have leaned to impact on practice and subject knowledge of staff throughout their school. During the course, they will also receive three high quality children's texts along with associated detailed planning and take part in a writing workshop delivered by a children’s poet, to develop understanding of an authentic writing process.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website.
What you will learn:
This four day course has been designed by our team of expert teachers and will cover:
- Day 1: Developing writer identity: Exploring the importance of oracy and personal narrative for writer motivation
- Day 2: The Reader in the Writer: Understanding the interrelationship between reading and writing
- Day 3: Developing choice and voice: Creating authentic contexts and purposes for writing in the curriculum
- Day 4: Developing maturity and independence: Understanding authentic writing processes and nurturing authorial agency
What participants will receive?
As well as four full days training, all participants will receive a book pack containing an anthology of related reading, a theoretical text to deepen their subject knowledge, three high quality children’s books, chosen by the CLPE teaching team, alongside their associated detailed planning, to ensure participants can easily implement their training back in the classroom.
This course also includes a subscription to CLPE's Power of Reading Membership website worth £350. This resource gives your whole school access to detailed literacy planning for over 220 high-quality children’s books,1,500 examples of classroom practice and our Take 5 home learning activities. It provides ideas, inspiration and structure for your literacy curriculum, raising literacy standards and developing a love of reading and writing.
Participants will be provided with the tools to implement a quality writing provision across their school and will:
- Choose and use a range of high quality texts to inspire writing;
- Model best practice in the teaching of writing;
- Use the CLPE Writing Scale to identify the continuum of development in writing and support all children to make progress, regardless of their starting points;
- Be supported in developing practice across the school in order to increase engagement and attainment in writing;
- Examine recent research underpinning teaching approaches;
- Explore best practice in the context embedded teaching of phonics, spelling and grammar;
- Engage in school-based gap tasks and reflections culminating in a case study evidencing impact;
- Take part in a writing workshop delivered by a children’s poet to develop understanding of an authentic writing process.
This course will be led by CLPE's Darren Matthews.
Book our face-to-face courses with full confidence that they will be run within government guidelines on health and safety and social distancing. Like everyone, we are having to review the situation with regards to Covid-19 regularly. If government guidance changes then we will work with you to ensure that we can deliver an alternative that meets your needs and that gives your school the training you need.
“Importantly, there need be no conflict between teaching a broad, rich curriculum and achieving success in exams. A well-constructed, well-taught curriculum will lead to good results because those results will be a reflection of what pupils have learned.”Amanda Spielman, HMCI commentary: curriculum and the new education inspection framework (2018)
“Unlike so many courses that promise so much and deliver so little, you can feel confident that you’ll get what you pay for. Raising Achievement in Writing does raise achievement in writing. It did in my school.”Deputy Head Teacher, RAW Course Participant, 2018