Raising Achievement in Writing
This 6 day course will guide teachers and school leaders to develop high quality writing provision across the key stages within a rich reading curriculum.
Teachers will have extensive input on research, best practice and subject knowledge. Every participant will receive an anthology of related reading, and a theoretical text to deepen their subject knowledge. During the course, they will also receive 3 high quality children's texts along with associated teaching sequences in order to support participants in putting theory into practice in their settings. This year all RAW participants will also receive a Power of Reading subscription (worth £300) for their school.
- Choose and use a range of high quality texts to inspire writing
- Model best practice in the teaching of writing
- Use the CLPE Writing Scale to identify the continuum of development in writing and support all children to make progress, regardless of their starting points
- Be supported in developing practice across the school in order to increase engagement and attainment in writing
- Examine recent research underpinning teaching approaches
- Engage in school-based gap tasks and reflections culminating in a case study evidencing impact
- Take part in a writing workshop delivered by leading children's poet Rachel Rooney to develop your understanding of an authentic writing process.
Day 1: Building a Community of Writers
Day 2: Inclusive Practice in Writing
Day 3: The Reader in the Writer
Day 4: Developing Sophistication in Writing
Day 5: Paper, Print and Digital Production
Day 6: Reflection and Forward Planning
“The practical element has enabled me to embed the pedagogy through experiencing it, giving me the confidence to share it so others can benefit.” Teacher 2018
“The course has been a real highlight of this academic year.” Teacher 2018
"I have been completely inspired by this course, the mix of ideas from our tutor and the opportunity to share ideas with colleagues has been excellent."Teacher 2017
“It has given me a deeper, theory based understanding of what writing is, the process and the challenges”Teacher 2017