The Power of a Rich Reading Classroom – Reflecting Realities, Nurturing Reader Identity - Webinar
This webinar is being run on two different dates:
- 4th February 2021 - 3.30pm - 5.30pm.
- 8th February 2021 - 1:00pm - 3:00pm.
Please select the date from the drop down menu at the top and select the date you require.
This webinar will provide an insight into the rationale, key findings and notable patterns identified as part of our award winning Reflecting Realities research.
What will participants gain?
- An understanding of the key features that constitute quality inclusive, ethically representative literature.
- An appreciation of some of the pitfalls of problematic portrayals and the ways in which this can compromise the reading experience.
- Examples of high quality inclusive titles with opportunities to consider how they might benefit young readers and shape their outlook.
- Guidance on key considerations for curating quality inclusive literature and integrating this across your provision.
Participants will have the opportunity to reflect on the role of literature in shaping children’s sense of self and reader identity, as well as, considering how we nurture positive reader identity and broaden children’s outlook through the use of quality inclusive literature.
We will explore the challenges of a lack of visibility of marginalised pupils within literature and the curriculum and how to overcome this through the use of quality titles that exemplify the best of inclusive, representative literature currently on the market.
Over the course of the session, participants will be introduced to a wide range of high quality ethnically representative titles that can be used from Early Years to Year 6 with practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.