The Power of a Rich Reading Classroom – Poetry in the Primary School - Webinar
This webinar will explore the importance of choosing and using poetry in the classroom to increase children’s motivation as independent readers and writers and to build their confidence in performing to an audience.
Please select the date from the drop down menu at the top and select the time you require.
What will participants gain?
- An understanding of the place of poetry in a broad, rich English Curriculum.
- Examples of high quality poetry that can be used with children across the primary years.
- A knowledge of the specific reading skills and strategies that poetry supports.
- Examples of creative teaching approaches that support children’s engagement with and understanding of poetry.
- An understanding of how poetry can be used as a stimulus for children’s own writing.
Through a range of interactive activities, we will investigate how well-chosen poetry and thoughtfully planned activities can increase children’s comprehension of language and engage children in deeper response in reading, as well as how poems can be used to develop children’s own use of language; inspiring them to write creatively and independently, with an understanding of how to write with a reader in mind.
Participants will be introduced to a wide range of poetry with examples that can be used from Early Years to Year 6 with practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.