The Power of a Rich Reading Classroom – Picturebooks in the Primary School - Webinar
This webinar is being run on two different dates:
- 14 June 2021 - 10am - 12.00pm
- 17June 2021 - 3:30pm - 5:30pm
This webinar will explore the importance of choosing and using picturebooks for children of all ages to increase children’s motivation as independent readers and writers.
What will participants gain?
- An understanding of the place of picturebooks in a broad, rich English Curriculum.
- Examples of high quality picturebooks that can be used with children across the primary years.
- Specific subject knowledge in how to read illustration.
- A knowledge of the specific reading skills and strategies that picturebooks support.
- Examples of creative teaching approaches that support children’s engagement with and understanding of narrative.
- An understanding of how picturebooks can be used as a stimulus for children’s own writing.
Through a range of interactive activities, we will investigate how well-chosen picturebooks, specific teaching of how illustration can be read and thoughtfully planned activities can increase children’s comprehension of language and engage children in deeper response in reading, as well as how picturebooks can be used to develop children’s own use of language and understanding of narrative structure; inspiring them to write creatively and independently.
Participants will be introduced to a wide range of picturebooks with examples that can be used from Early Years to Year 6 and practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.