The Power of a Rich Reading Classroom – Non-Fiction in the Primary School - Webinar
This webinar is being run on two different dates:
- 22 June 2021: 3:30pm - 5:30pm.
- 24 June 2021: 10.00am - 12.00pm.
This webinar will explore the importance of choosing and using non-fiction in the classroom to increase children’s motivation and attainment as independent readers and writers.
What will participants gain?
- An understanding of the place of non-fiction in a broad, rich English Curriculum and in Cross-Curricular study.
- Examples of high quality non-fiction texts that can be used with children across the primary years.
- A knowledge of the specific reading skills and strategies that non-fiction texts support.
- Examples of creative teaching approaches that support children’s engagement with and understanding of informational writing.
- An understanding of how non-fiction texts can be used as a stimulus for children’s own writing.
Through a range of interactive activities, we will investigate how well-chosen information texts and thoughtfully planned activities can increase children’s understanding of language and vocabulary and engage children in deeper response in reading, as well as how purposeful writing tasks can be linked to non-fiction texts, with an understanding of the purpose, form and audience for writing; inspiring children to write creatively and independently.
Participants will be introduced to a wide range of non-fiction texts with examples that can be used from Early Years to Year 6 and practical ideas that can easily be transferred to the classroom.