Power of Reading - Sheffield
This project has been commissioned by the Sheffield South East Learning Partnership (SSELP).
To book, please email: [email protected]
The Power of Reading and Power of Reading in the Early Years from CLPE are proven to raise children's literacy achievement. Established for 13 years, over 4500 teachers have taken part in the training which enhances teachers’ knowledge of quality literature and develops their ability to use it creatively in the classroom.
This 4 day course includes:
- 4 full day INSET sessions designed by our highly experienced team of teachers
- Free place for headteacher or senior leader on the first and last days of the training
- 2 packs of carefully chosen children's books (20 books per teacher) and selected associated teaching resources
- An audit of classroom literacy provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading and writing
- Children's book groups to increase enthusiasm for quality literature and understanding of how to share this in the classroom
- A subscription to a resource-packed website hosting over 200 teaching sequences for EYFS to KS2, explanations of our teaching approaches and over 1500 examples of good practice
- An introduction to CLPE Reading and Writing Scales to help teachers strengthen formative assessment, understand the journey toward becoming literate and support progress for every child
- Opportunities to meet leading children's writers including Philip Gross, Bethan Woolvin, Linda Newbery, Piers Torday and Chitra Soundar
The Power of Reading meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
Bringing the Power of Reading project to you
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager .
For further information please contact:
Gwyneth Dear, CLPE Business Development Manager by email: [email protected] or
Tel: 020 7902 2295.
“Reading levels have improved in almost all year groups. The most unexpected impact has been in writing. PoR has been instrumental in putting the purpose back into writing and motivating children to share their thoughts.”Headteacher, Athersley North Primary School, Barnsley, PoR Barnsley training 2017-18
“PoR has given our teachers the tools and the will to teach reading and inspire children to become readers. The CLPE work and resources have enabled/ensured that all teachers have discovered the real power of reading and become “reading teachers”."Headteacher, Kiveton Park meadows Junior School, Sheffield, PoR Barnsley training 2017-18
“All children have been engaged with the wide variety of texts, even those who are reluctant readers and writers. The activities are brilliant and have been successful in deepening children’s understanding of texts”.Year 4 Teacher Signhills Academy, Cleethorpes, PoR Barnsley training 2017-18