Power of Reading - Newcastle
This project has been commissioned by Seven Stories which is the National Centre for Children's Books in Newcastle and is a museum and visitor centre dedicated to children's literature. Cost is £1450 ( £950 for additional attendees). There is a school group booking discount of 10 places for £10,000.
To book, contact the Learning team on
0300 330 1095 ext 213 or email: [email protected].
The Power of Reading and Power of Reading in the Early Years from CLPE are proven to raise children's literacy achievement. Established for 13 years, over 4500 teachers have taken part in the training which enhances teachers’ knowledge of quality literature and develops their ability to use it creatively in the classroom.
This 4 day course includes:
- 4 full day INSET sessions designed by our highly experienced team of teachers
- Free place for headteacher or senior leader on the first and last days of the training
- 2 packs of carefully chosen children's books (20 books per teacher) and selected associated teaching resources
- An audit of classroom literacy provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading and writing
- Children's book groups to increase enthusiasm for quality literature and understanding of how to share this in the classroom
- A subscription to a resource-packed website hosting over 200 teaching sequences for EYFS to KS2, explanations of our teaching approaches and over 1500 examples of good practice
- An introduction to CLPE Reading and Writing Scales to help teachers strengthen formative assessment, understand the journey toward becoming literate and support progress for every child
- Opportunities to meet leading children's writers including Philip Gross, Bethan Woolvin, Linda Newbery, Piers Torday and Chitra Soundar
The Power of Reading meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
Bringing the Power of Reading project to you
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager .
For further information please contact:
Gwyneth Dear, CLPE Business Development Manager by email: [email protected] or
Tel: 020 7902 2295.
“Children are accessing a wider range of texts across the school. Pupil’s enjoyment of reading has improved. SEN pupils are engaged within lessons – the programme is highly inclusive. Boys are involved and enjoying the texts and are reading new books.”Year 4 teacher, Morpeth Road Primary Academy, Newcastle PoR training 2017-18
“PoR has motivated pupils to write. It gave them a wealth of ideas and language to include in their writing. There was greater engagement"Year 3 teacher Rose Wood Academy. Newcastle PoR training 2017-18