Power of Reading - London
- Consortium or school groups booking 10 places will pay just £1000 per place. Please email Gwyneth Dear to book
Enhance and develop your literacy teaching with CLPE’s flagship Power of Reading training, proven to raise children's literacy achievement.
This 4 day training programme uses high quality children’s literature and proven creative teaching approaches to engage teachers and children in the literacy curriculum, supporting schools to nurture a whole school love of reading and writing. Now in its 15th year, the Power of Reading has raised achievement in over 4000 schools and worked with 5000 teachers nationally, with 98% of teachers reporting the programme improved children’s engagement in reading and 97% reporting an improvement in children’s writing.
What you will learn:
This 4 day course is underpinned by extensive research and has been designed by our highly experienced team of teachers who bring their professional knowledge and teaching experience to the Power of Reading training. This training meets all requirements of the National Curriculum and will cover:
- Choosing high-quality children’s literature
- Reading for Pleasure
- The importance of reading aloud
- The reading environment
- An opportunity to listen to and meet a leading children’s author/illustrator
- Storytelling and drama
- Exploring the development of language and narrative
- Developing fictional narratives
- Reading skills and strategies
- Exploring non-fiction
- The importance of poetry.
What participants will receive?
As well as 4 full days training, all participants will receive two Power of Reading book packs one containing 12 tried and tested high-quality children’s books, appropriate to their year group with accompanying teaching plans, and one containing 4 titles to develop participants knowledge and understanding of children’s literature. All texts are chosen by the CLPE teaching team. Participants will also have whole school access to our Power of Reading subscription for 12 months which hosts over 200 detailed planning sequences for Early Years to Year 7 as well as 1500 examples of how teachers have implemented their training back in the classroom and details about PoR teaching approaches. There will also be the opportunity to meet leading children's writers such as Philip Gross, Bethan Woolvin, Linda Newbery, Piers Torday and Chitra Soundar.
Free place at Inset 1 & 4 for Headteachers
- Teachers will have developed their subject and pedagogical knowledge in literacy teaching and be provided with the tools to help their school develop classroom provision and inform a whole school approach to reading.
- Extended knowledge of children’s literature and how to choose high quality text.
Bringing the Power of Reading project to you
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager
We have teamed up with Zen Educate, a smart new way to arrange cover. If you are a London school you will be able to get £100* off your first day of supply.
*Terms and conditions apply.
"Children's writing has developed immensely and progress has accelerated. Our children now love reading and approach writing bursting with ideas and confidence."Headteacher, 2017
"Not only has it reinvigorated my love of literature it has shown how we can use it to transform pupils' lives and outcomes"Teacher on Power of Reading project, 2018