Power of Reading - Ipswich
This project has been commissioned by the West Ipswich Teaching Alliance. There is a bulk booking offer of 10 places for £10,000.
The Power of Reading is a school development project which engages teachers and children in the literacy curriculum using high quality books and proven teaching approaches.
The project offers multi-layered professional development drawing on CLPE’s highly regarded classroom-based research and experience of working with teachers. It combines an introduction to outstanding books for teachers and children with an approach to teaching the English curriculum that is creative, engaging and develops a love of literacy. This successful project is entering its fourteenth year and has worked nationally with over 3500 schools and 5000 teachers in 50 Local Authorities.
The Power of Reading is fully aligned to and meets all requirements of the National Curriculum 2014
This 4 day course includes:
- 4 full day INSET sessions designed by our highly experienced team of teachers
- Free place for headteacher or senior leader on the first and last days of the training
- 2 packs of carefully chosen children's books (20 books per teacher) and selected associated teaching resources
- An audit of classroom literacy provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading and writing
- Children's book groups to increase enthusiasm for quality literature and understanding of how to share this in the classroom
- A subscription to a resource-packed website hosting over 200 teaching sequences for EYFS to KS2, explanations of our teaching approaches and over 1500 examples of good practice*
- An introduction to CLPE Reading and Writing Scales to help teachers strengthen formative assessment, understand the journey toward becoming literate and support progress for every child
- Opportunities for practitioners at all levels of experience to reflect on and develop their practice and pedagogy
- Gap tasks designed to support the successful implementation of the programme including how to improve the literacy environment
- Opportunities to meet and learn from leading children's authors and illustrators
*Website access will commence on the launch day of the project
Evidence of impact
Analysis of data from the project schools has shown that children in Power of Reading schools make outstanding progress in reading and writing. Our research shows that the project is particularly effective in narrowing the achievement gap between boys and girls and significant for those who have been previously reluctant to engage with literacy.*
- Choosing to read more often and at greater length
- Keen to read more challenging books
- More confident and knowledgeable in talking about books
- Willing to seek out deeper meanings in text
- Showing greater enjoyment and achievement in writing.
CLPE Reading and Writing Scales – Literacy Beyond Levels
Project teachers will work with the CLPE Reading and Writing Scales which help teachers to understand what progression looks like in reading and writing. These materials help schools to provide an environment that supports children’s development as readers and writers and supports teacher subject knowledge in the development of reading and writing. They are a tool that will help strengthen teacher understanding and provide a common framework for truly formative assessment. Download the free Reading and Writing Scales
"The sense of fun, excitement and achieving that has been growing in the class. It's been liberating to see how the children 'magically' learn to write through osmosis based on all the amazing reading opportunities"Year 3 teacher, Grange Community Primary School, Felixstowe Ipswich PoR training 2017-18
“Teachers are using the teaching sequences to support planning, resulting in more creative, engaging lessons which produce high quality writing".Year 2 teacher, Whitton Primary School, Ipswich Ipswich PoR training 2017-18