Power of Reading - Bury
This project has been commissioned by the Bury Teaching Schools Alliance. To book please email [email protected]
The Power of Reading and Power of Reading in the Early Years from CLPE are proven to raise children's literacy achievement. Established for 13 years, over 4500 teachers have taken part in the training which enhances teachers’ knowledge of quality literature and develops their ability to use it creatively in the classroom.
This 4 day course includes:
- 4 full day INSET sessions designed by our highly experienced team of teachers
- Free place for headteacher or senior leader on the first and last days of the training
- 2 packs of carefully chosen children's books (20 books per teacher) and selected associated teaching resources
- An audit of classroom literacy provision and support to develop a whole school approach to reading and writing
- Children's book groups to increase enthusiasm for quality literature and understanding of how to share this in the classroom
- A subscription to a resource-packed website hosting over 200 teaching sequences for EYFS to KS2, explanations of our teaching approaches and over 1500 examples of good practice
- An introduction to CLPE Reading and Writing Scales to help teachers strengthen formative assessment, understand the journey toward becoming literate and support progress for every child
- Opportunities to meet leading children's writers including Philip Gross, Bethan Woolvin, Linda Newbery, Piers Torday and Chitra Soundar
The Power of Reading meets all requirements of the National Curriculum.
Bringing the Power of Reading project to you
We can deliver the project to groups of schools in a local area. For more information about commissioning a local project please contact Gwyneth Dear, Business Development Manager .
For further information please contact:
Gwyneth Dear, CLPE Business Development Manager by email: [email protected] or
Tel: 020 7902 2295.
“This project has motivated all teachers involved across all three schools within the MAT. All teachers have taken elements of the Power of Reading and adapted it to meet the needs of the children within their own settings. It has equipped teachers with the pedagogy and understanding of the Power of Reading and has inspired them to drive standards in reading within their classes.”Headteacher, Vision Multi Academy Trust, Manchester, Bury PoR training 2017-18
“Children who don’t usually want to write have been enthused and want to read and write. They can’t wait for their reading session. They are totally engaged with the whole”topic” generated by the text. There is a noticeable improvement to the standard of writing"Headteacher, Heaton Park Primary School, Bury, PoR Bury training 2017-18