Power of Reading - Bristol
Power of Reading is now running for 2018/19. Find out where Power of Reading training is running.
The Power of Reading is a school development project which engages teachers and children in the literacy curriculum using high quality books and proven teaching approaches.
The project offers multi-layered professional development drawing on CLPE’s highly regarded classroom-based research and experience of working with teachers. It combines an introduction to outstanding books for teachers and children with an approach to teaching the English curriculum that is creative, engaging and develops a love of literacy. This successful project is entering its 13th year and has worked nationally with over 3000 schools and 5000 teachers in 50 Local Authorities.
The Power of Reading is fully aligned to and meets all requirements of the National Curriculum 2014.
There are four days of training spread throughout the school year. Headteachers and Senior Leaders are invited to the first morning and the final conference. Between each of the training days teachers will trial, share and implement the approaches and principles they have explored during the sessions. Teachers work on a school based case study which they present at the final conference.
Schools will receive:
- Two packs of carefully chosen children’s books for each project teacher
- *Access to an exceptional and inspiring website of resources containing teaching sequences for over 190 books and more than 1000 examples of practice from Power of Reading schools
- Four full training days
- The opportunity to develop subject and pedagogical knowledge within each school’s context
- Tools to help schools to develop classroom and school provision to inform a whole school approach to reading
- Book group discussions to extend teachers’ knowledge of children’s literature
- Opportunities to listen to and meet leading children’s authors.
*Website access will commence on the launch day of the project.
Evidence of impact
Analysis of data from the project schools has shown that children in Power of Reading schools make outstanding progress in reading and writing. Our research shows that the project is particularly effective in narrowing the achievement gap between boys and girls and significant for those who have been previously reluctant to engage with literacy.*
- Choosing to read more often and at greater length
- Keen to read more challenging books
- More confident and knowledgeable in talking about books
- Willing to seek out deeper meanings in text
- Showing greater enjoyment and achievement in writing.
CLPE Reading and Writing Scales – Literacy beyond levels
Project teachers will work with the CLPE Reading and Writing Scales which help teachers to understand what progression looks like in reading and writing. These materials help schools to provide an environment that supports children’s development as readers and writers and supports teacher subject knowledge in the development of reading and writing. They are a tool that will help strengthen teacher understanding and provide a common framework for truly formative assessment. Download the free Reading and Writing Scales
Please note there is a School Cluster group booking discount: 10 places for £10,000.
For further information please contact:
Gwyneth Dear, CLPE Business Development Manager by email: [email protected] or
Tel: 020 7902 2295.
"Children's writing has developed immensely and progress has accelerated. Our children now love reading and approach writing bursting with ideas and confidence."Headteacher, 2017